Surprising Things You Can Clean in Your Dishwasher
Are you wondering what things you can wash in your dishwasher? You may be surprised to know that your kitchen best appliance, dishwasher, not only turns the dirty dishes to clean and shinier ones but can also be used to clean so many things. Mostly the utensils you washed in the dishwasher are made of glass, plastic, ceramic, and metals. Thus, it means that you not only can clean these utensils, but you can do all the other things that are made of these materials.
Make sure that not every kind of material can be put in the dishwasher to clean in the dishwasher like wood, copper, and cast iron. So you have to be cautious about what type of material you are putting in the dishwasher and follow the care tips provided by the manufacturer for the specific types of materials. Always put the utensils and dishes on the upper part of the rack as it is the safest place and prevent dishes from getting the direct heat while they are drying.
Also, if you are cleaning flip flops in the dishwasher, make sure to clean the dishwasher. Also, clean the dishwasher before you put the other dishes loaded in the dishwasher.
Things You Can Clean In Your Dishwasher
Home Decor Items
Dishwashers can be used to clean the home decor items made from glasses and ceramic material.
- Vase: You can wash vases and other decorative items easily in the dishwasher. Make sure not to wash anything that is delicate to get chipped off or become colorless or trimmed off gold or silver gilt. Always put the dirty items on the top rack except for the heavy pieces.
- Desk Decoration Accessories: If your desk decorating accessories are made from the glass, metal, or ceramic materials, you can clean them in the dishwasher. Like a pen & pencil holder, mini trash can, and paper organizer. You can clean them easily in the dishwasher.
- HVAC Vent Grills: You can clean the dust and grime coated over the vent grills of HVAC made from aluminum or steel material.
- Light Fixtures: You can clean the glass globes of light fixtures, oil lamps, or candles in the dishwasher and take them out with beautiful shine.
- Switchboard Plates: They usually get coated with lots of dirt and grime from our fingerprints. You can clean plastic covers in the dishwasher and avoid brass and painted switchboard covers.
You may be thinking how to clean hubcaps in the dishwasher? This is actually easy. Put them into the dishwasher and wash them on a normal cycle. But before you put them in the dishwasher, make sure to clean the extra dirt and grime. To perfectly clean the hubcaps, you need to pour one cup of vinegar into the dishwasher. Also, make sure that only hubcaps are put in the dishwasher and no other utensils and anything.
Can you wash clothes in a dishwasher? Not really, and do not attempt to wash clothes in the dishwasher. Dirty kitchen clothes or small, dirty cloth pieces cannot be put in the dishwasher as it can only material like glass, steel, and ceramic, not clothes. Washing clothes in the dishwasher can damage their functioning.
Clean Sports Equipment
You can use small sports equipment in the dishwasher easily, just you need to clean the extra layer of mud and dirt on them.
- Golf Balls: Put Golf balls in the mesh box and start the normal dishwasher cleaning cycle.
- Mouth Guards: Put the mouth guards first in the mesh bag before you begin to start washing.
- Shin Guards: You can wash shin guards in the dishwasher. It can remove the odor and bacteria from the shin guards.
- Yard Small Toys: You can wash plastic in the dishwasher; it means you can also wash tiny Yard toys easily in the dishwasher. If these toys coated with the layer of mud, you can first clean them before washing them in the dishwasher. Washing yard toys in the dishwasher kill the bacteria and ensure the good health of your child.
- Baseball Caps: Washing a baseball cap in the dishwasher cannot be a good idea as the shape and foam can be changed. If you still want to clean it, choose a baseball cap that can hold its original shape even after cleaning. Make sure not to put the detergent powder that contains bleach, and it will damage the functioning of the dishwasher.
One of the best uses of a dishwasher is that you can also clean kitchen tools in the dishwasher. Here below are some items that you can put in the dishwasher to clean them.
- Trivets And Oven Mitts: You can clean oven mitts of silicon and steel trivet in the dishwasher without worrying about anything.
- Exhaust Fan Covers & Filters: Usually, the exhaust fans in the kitchen are with the washable filters that can easily catch the grease in the kitchen air while cooking. To clean the filters and any covers of the exhaust fan, you can put them in the dishwasher and run it for thorough cleaning.
- Kitchen Brushes & Sponges: As you put your so many dirty dishes into the dishwasher, you can also place kitchen sponges and brushes on the top rack of the utensil holder.
- Microwave Turntable: Every time when you are cleaning the dishes, you can also put the microwave turntable plate in the dishwasher so that it will also get clean.
- Refrigerator Bins And Shelves: You can easily clean the refrigerator’s bins and shelves in the dishwasher with the other dishes or separately. Run these refrigerators items in the dishwasher on a normal cycle, and this job is also done.
- Handles & Knobs: In case your cabinets or drawer’s knob and handles get greasy, dirty, or grimed, you can remove them from the drawer and wash them in the dishwasher.
Not only the kitchen items and toys you can wash in the dishwasher, but bathroom accessories can also be cleaned in the dishwasher.
- Toothbrush And Soap Holders: You can put toothbrush holders and soap dishes into the dishwasher to clean them. This will help in killing the bacteria from them and keep your family protected. You can weekly clean these bathroom accessories in the dishwasher.
- Rubber Mats: So many people use rubber mats in their bathing tub to avoid slipping. You can clean them weekly on the dishwasher so that it prevents you from building up molds on the rubber mat.
- Shower Brushes, Poofs, and Sponges: You can clean these items in the dishwasher to clean the body oil and soil layered on these items as well as help in killing the germs and avoid molds to build up. Clean these items weekly in the dishwasher.
- Bathroom Exhaust Fan Cover: Put it in the dishwasher and clean the grime build upon it. You can put the exhaust fan cover in the dishwasher every six to seven months so that all the dust, as well as the oil layer, can be removed.
You might be extremely happy to know that your time to soak your makeup brushes and other items will be lessened. You can clean these items in the dishwasher easily and whenever you want.
- Face Scrub Brush: You can clean the non-electrical facial brush, or if the electrical part is detachable, you can put them in the dishwasher holder to clean it. This will clean all the makeup residue from the makeup brushes as well as kill the bacteria living inside the bristles of these brushes.
- Combs & Hair Brushes: You can place the plastic combs and hairbrushes in the dishwasher holder for cleaning this thoroughly and killing all the bacterias hiding behind the bristles. It will also help in removing layers of oil and dirt built on the comb. Make sure not to place the wooden comb inside the utensil holder of the dishwasher.
- Pedicure & Manicure Tools: You can also clean the pedicure & manicure tools in the dishwasher with a non-bleach containing detergent to ensure the good functioning of the dishwasher. The cleaning cycle, as well as the heat utensil holder of the dishwasher, helps in killing the bacteria, dirt, grime, fungus, and all other impurities from these tools.
Gardening Tools And Accessories
Like other things, you can also clean the gardening tools and accessories in the dishwasher, but make sure to remove all extra mud from them. The tools you can clean in the dishwasher are:
- Flower Pots: Place the small size plastic pots in the dishwasher.
- Flip Flops: Rubber material made flip flops can easily be washed in the dishwasher and bring out like new.
- Gardening Boots: You can place the rubber boots in the dishwasher holder. Make sure to remove all the excess mud outside before you put them inside the dishwasher.
Thus, these are some of the items that you can easily wash in the dishwasher. You can wash any kind of items that are made from glass, steel, ceramic, or plastic, but not others. Some people also ask Can I put bleach in the dishwasher? The answer is No! This will damage the functioning of the dishwasher.