Treatment Of Narcolepsy – Natural And Medication Options to treat Narcolepsy Completely
Before your narcolepsy treatment starts, your doctor will make a preliminary diagnosis, which is based on an excess feeling of sleepiness. Narcolepsy treatment also includes the diagnosis of sudden muscle loss that is due to cataplexy symptoms.
After your first diagnosis phase, the doctor will recommend you to take further evaluation from a specialized clinician.
Your treatment of narcolepsy is based on the type of severity of your condition and how much old your narcolepsy symptoms are.
If it is on the severity side, then there are higher chances that your doctor will suggest you take heavy drugs as medication for instant relief.
However, after some time, you can ask your doctor for less heavy drugs and switch to natural narcolepsy treatment for better health.
In this article, we will talk about some effective narcolepsy treatment options that your doctor may prescribe you as well as we will discuss telling you about the narcolepsy natural treatment that you can take care of yourself.
Narcolepsy Treatment Options
There are mainly two types of narcolepsy treatment options that you can take depending on the severity of your condition.
- Medication Treatment For Narcolepsy
- Natural Narcolepsy Treatment
Medication Treatment Of Narcolepsy Include:
This is a type of drug that helps your body stay awake and aware during day time. This drug is used to treat CNS or central nervous system and is used to treat narcolepsy conditions at the preliminary stage.
Doctors mostly suggest Nuvigil (armodafinil) or Provigil (modafinil) to narcolepsy patients. These stimulants may be drugs, but they are not addictive like older types of stimulants and do not cause you to feel high or low after drug intake.
These may have some side effects on your body like nausea, anxiety, or headache. Some of the patients are also required treatment from methylphenidate or other types of amphetamines to treat narcolepsy.
However, these stimulants are highly effective in treating severe narcolepsy treatment, but it can be addictive at the same time.
There are side effects of using them as a medication like heart palpitation and nervousness.
- Tricyclic Antidepressant
Some people with narcolepsy symptoms are prescribed to take antidepressants like imipramine, clomipramine, and protriptyline as a medication. These antidepressants can effectively treat narcolepsy with cataplexy. However, many people have experienced severe side effects. These include dry mouth, low active mind, and lightheadedness.
- Xyrem or Sodium Oxybate
This narcolepsy medication is highly effective in treating severe conditions faced by the patients during cataplexy. This medication helps in improving the quality of sleep that gets hampered due to narcolepsy.
High doses of this drug help in controlling the drowsiness felt during the daytime. This drug is mostly described for two times in a day, once before bedtime and second after four hours.
Xyrem medication as treatment may have side effects on your body like nausea, sleepwalking, or bed-wetting. In case if the patient consumes these drugs along with alcohol or pain relievers may cause difficulty in breathing or lead to death also.
- SSRIs or SNRIs
This is usually prescribed by the doctors to treat narcolepsy in order to suppress REM during sleeping. This medication also helps in treating symptoms of hypnagogic hallucinations, sleep paralysis, and cataplexy. These include medicines like venlafaxine and fluoxetine. Side effects of these medications involve problems like weight gain, digestion problems, and insomnia.
Remember: Never take these medications on your own. Always ask the doctor about the prescription; he or she will prescribe you medication accordingly. In case you have other health conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, or any other, make sure to tell your doctor about this and ask for the prescription that does not cause severe side effects.
Narcolepsy Natural Treatment – Home Remedies
If you are suffering from narcolepsy, but afraid to get exposed to drugs side effects, natural treatment is highly effective and keeps you safe from any severe narcolepsy episode.
Natural narcolepsy treatment is so effective that it can not only improve your condition, but it also enhances your lifestyle routine.
Basically, home remedies for narcolepsy treatment involve modification in lifestyle and are important for managing narcolepsy symptoms.
- Follow A Regular Schedule: Make a nighttime schedule and sleep regularly on time. You should go to bed and wake up at the same time. This will help in improving quality and keep your body relaxed all through the night.
- Take Few Naps: In order to improve your narcolepsy condition, it is important to give your brain a good rest and balance the chemicals that form all through the day. A nap for 20 minutes is enough in a day, and it will keep your brain functioning at normal rates. It will also help in lowering sleepiness all during the day. Some people require you to take longer naps, but it will help in improving your condition.
- Stop Drinking Alcohol And Nicotine: Consumption of these substances is the major reason why people start suffering from narcolepsy condition. Intake of these substances leads to hampering the condition of the brain as well as worsening the symptoms of narcolepsy. If you want to reduce the symptoms of narcolepsy and improve your health, it is a better idea that you should completely cut the intake of alcoholic or nicotine substances.
- Do Regular Workout: Regulating exercising helps in reducing the chances of getting a cataplexy episode attack almost by 80%. Start exercising early in the morning as well as two hours before you go to bed. It is not important that you start heavy exercise; moderate exercising is better for improving your sleep quality. It will also keep your brain awake and active during the day and enhance the quality of your sleep.
If you are suffering from narcolepsy, it is important as well as a better idea to go to your doctor and ask for the proper narcolepsy treatment.
In case the condition is severe, then it is better that you should avoid natural treatment as it may not help you at the initial level. After some time of narcolepsy medication treatment, you can then start your natural narcolepsy treatment.