Remove Mascara Stains From Clothes, Carpet, and Upholstery
Want to remove mascara from your clothes, or carpets? No worries we are here you tell how to do that. Mascara is the best friend to your eyelashes but not to your clothes, carpet, pillowcases, and towels. Imagine getting ready for the big night, and all of a sudden you fumble, and the mascara wand roll down the dress and falls on the carpet, leaving a long trail of black all over. Sadly. There is no fast way to remove mascara stains but fortunately you will be able to remove it. Learn the best way to remove mascara stains by following the simple procedures mentioned below.
How to remove mascara stains from clothes ? (washable clothes)
All mascaras and eyeliners are formulated with waxes, oils, and dyes. When the stain starts to appear on fabric, you start by treating the waxy/oily stain component first using a stain remover like Zout, Shout or Spray n Wash.
- Start working with the product in the stained area of the fabric using a soft bristle brush or you can also use your finger, that will work too.
- Let the stain remover work its magic for a minimum of fifteen minutes before you wash the garment or the linen clothing following the method mentioned on the clothing care label.
Use the hottest possible temperature recommended to wash the fabric.
- If you do not own a stain remover, then you can also use a heavy-duty Liquid detergent with enzymes strong enough to dissolve, remove and lift the stain.
- After the detergent or stain remover has worked its magic, then again lightly give a scrub to the stain using a brush and then rinse the garment with hot water.
- The next step is to wash the time in the hot water temperature that is suitable for the fabric. Check the garment care label to read the washing instructions.
After you have washed the cloth check again to see if the stain still remains.
Remember that you should never dry a cloth stained with mascara using cloth dryer on high heat. The heat from the dryer will make the stain to remove forever and seep deep into the fabric.
If you notice any trace of mascara stain after washing the garment, then-
- Mix a solution of Oxygen based bleach and cool water, some bleach options to try are, Country Save Bleach, Clorox 2, OxiClean, Purex 2 Color Safe Bleach.
- Always follow the directions mentioned on the package, as how much bleach should be added to per gallon of water.
- After making the mixture submerge the garment completely into it and let it soak for at least 9 hours or if possible leave it overnight.
- Check to stain any signs of a stain and then repeat this procedure again if required. Then wash your garment as usual, as a finishing step.
How to get mascara out of fabric? (Dry clean clothes)
If you want to know how to get eyeliner/ mascara out of clothes then follow this procedure.
In case the garment is labeled it should be only dry cleaned, the best way to get rid of the stain is to head to the professional dry cleaner as soon as you can. Identify the stain and point it out to them so that they can correct it. However if you have decided to take the matter onto your hands and treat the stain at home, then-
- Try sponging method on the area with dry cleaning solvent on a clean white cloth.
- Start working from the outside of the stain and keep moving towards the center to prevent the stain from getting bigger.
- Keep switching with the clean cloth area as the stain gets transferred on the cloth.
- Let the cloth air dry.
- If you are planning to use at home dry cleaning kit, make sure you treat the stain properly using a stain remover before you put the clothing in the dryer bag.
How to remove mascara stains from carpet?
What you will do if the mascara wand falls on the carpet? How to get makeup off the carpet? Lift the mascara wand carefully off of the floor. Avoid rubbing the stain because it may push the stain deeper into the carpet fiber and it may smear into a larger area.
Dry cleaning solvent is the best stain remover for the carper because it dissolves the waxy/oily component.
- Using a clean white cloth blot the stain and ensure there is no more color transfer to the fabric.
- Dip the clean cloth into water and blot to rinse the stain.
- Let it air dry and use a vacuum cleaner to lift the fibers of the carpet.
If you are out of dry cleaning solvent-
- Mix one tablespoon household ammonia with one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent with two cups of warm water.
- Dip a sponge or clean white cloth in the solution and blot the stain nicely.
- Start working from the outer corners and then slowly move toward the inside to prevent the stain from getting bigger.
- Keep moving the clean cloth area as the stain gets transferred.
- It is necessary to rinse the cloth with plain water to prevent any soap residue from soiling the carpet.
- Let the carpet air dry naturally from the direct heat.
How to remove mascara stains from upholstery?
We will follow the same method of removing the stain from upholstery that we followed for the carpet. You have to be careful and do not over-saturate the fabric and also the cushion beneath it. If the excess moisture gets absorbs into the cushion it can cause the growth of mildew and mold problems. In case the upholstery is made of vintage or silk. You can consult a professional cleaning company to learn more about stain removal tips.
So these are some of the tips to remove mascara stains from clothes and carpets. If you try these out, please let us know if they worked for you or not.