How to Spot Clean Clothes, Upholstery, and Carpets
Those stubborn stains on clothes and other fabrics need a spot clean every time. Usually, when we went to attend events and food parties, getting stains on clothes is an obvious thing. As the summers are coming, it is the season of weddings, trips, and so many other special occasions that you have to attend. Getting spots after these events and parties are what happens with everyone. But what you can do is to learn spot clean ways so that you can wear your expensive dress on another occasion.
Beautiful dresses and classy suits are of no use if they spot them. Thus you have to learn how to do spot cleaning.
But it is not only about your clothes, but there might also be spots on your upholstery and carpet too if you mistakenly drop any drink or soup on it.
Sometimes we have to donate or throw our favorite clothes just because they have stains that do not go with washing again and again.
If you learn how to do laundry, you can become a hero , and these minor things won’t affect you.
An effective spot cleaner saves your time and money to spend on spot cleaning services and also helps in avoiding delays from attending any important meetings and occasions.
This post contains spot cleaning techniques and how you can easily clean spots from clothes, upholstery, and carpets at home.
What Is Spot Cleaning?
Spot Cleaning refers to cleaning the only part of cloth where stains are on it.
In order to clean these stain spots, you need to know what is the right product to clean the spots.
There are different types of spot cleaning products available in the market for each and every type of stains, as well as for fabric.
You have to do it correctly so that you prevent the clothes from getting further damages.
Spot cleaning is mostly used for cleaning the delicate fabrics and heavy and intricate dresses that cannot be washed.
The only way to make these dresses look stainless is through spot clean only.
Spot or fabric cleaner are used to make these dresses look again like new.
However, not every type of fabric can be cleaned by using spot cleaners like silk. Stains on silk fabric even of water need to take help from the professional fabric cleaner.
Sometimes when you are cleaning the heap of clothes in the washing machine, you need to do spot treatment before putting them in the washer.
Make sure to read the label that mentions how to clean the fabric and what type of cleaning products you can use or not.
How To Spot Clean Carpets And Upholstery
Spot cleaning for carpets and upholstery are the same.
Placing the absorbent piece of cloth under the upholstery is not possible, but one can use these following tips to clean spots from carpet and upholstery. You can spot clean a couch with these following tips.
- To remove a solid layer of stain, ruff the surface using a dull knife.
- To bolt the moisture from the stain, use a dry white paper or cloth to soak the moisture from the spot.
- Follow the tips mentioned on the labels of carpet and upholstery for cleaning stain spots.
- For any specific types of stains, follow the specific tips to remove them.
- Start from the edge and then come to the center, and this will help in avoiding the stain from spreading.
- Use a little amount of spot cleaner, put it on a rag, and little moistened the rag.
- Do not directly apply the heat on the carpet or upholstery for drying it. To dry, it uses air drying on moderate levels and slowly dries the fabric.
How To Spot Clean From Pillows
The steps are the same to remove stains from clothes, or pillows.
Just make sure you do not scrub the pillow vigorously to avoiding damaging the fabric.
- Remove the hard layer by using a dull knife or spoon.
- Then dab clean clothes with spot cleaner product and then gently rub on the spot from edges.
- After that, damp cloth and wipe out the spot.
- To dry the dampened area from the pillow, leave it under the air.
- If you find the spot is still there, then you can repeat the process. In the case of simple non-delicate fabric, you can also spot wash to remove any stain easily.
How To Spot Clean Stains On Clothes
To remove the stains from clothes, use a dull knife, the edge of credit card, or spoon to remove the extra layer from the stain. Scratch the stain gently to remove the upper layer of stains like gravy, sauce, or butter.
Do not first rub the fabric as it leads to penetrating the stain deeper into the fabric.
In the case of the all-liquid stain, you can use paper or dry white towel to blot the stain as much as possible and leave it dry.
Always use a dry part to blot the stain so that stains do not spread on the fabric.
In case there is an oil stain, then you can use white bread to absorb it.
After this, use plain water to dilute these liquid types of stains with no need for any special sparkling water.
Follow these tips to clean.
- After using a spoon or knife to remove the solid part of the stain, use paper or white cloth to absorb any moisture. Please do not use any colored paper or cloth because it leaves more stains on it.
- Now dab a clean cloth, swab it with the recommended spot cleaner for clothes to keep the fabric damage free. Start cleaning the stain from the edge side, and it will keep the stain from spreading further.
- When the stain transfers to the cloth, change the area of padding of cloth to the cleaner side so that stain transfers to the clean part.
- Now leave the dampened area so that it will air dry. Do not apply direct heat on the cloth as it will damage the fabric. You can leave it to dry under the fan. Moreover, if you use high heat on the spot, it will become harder for you to remove the stain completely.
- However, if the stain is complicated and hard to remove, you can use spot dry cleaning services from a professional service provider.
Nobody likes stains on their clothes, carpets, upholstery or any other fabric. Now you know how to deal with those stubborn stains on clothes. Keep trying all the tricks and the correct steps mentioned above.
And also, we would love to hear from you if it worked for you or not. If you have any other brilliant idea, please comment that so that we can add that too.