What is a Keto Diet and all About Keto Diet
The ketogenic or keto diet is a combination of low carbohydrates, high fat with moderate amounts of protein diet that offers various health benefits.
Let me introduce you to a beginner’s guide to the keto diet.
What is a Keto Diet?
A keto diet shares some similarities with the Atkins and other low carb diets. A keto diet is a diet that includes low carbs, high fat, and a moderate amount of protein.
In keto diet, you cut off carbohydrates drastically and replace them with fat sources. This drastic cut off of carbs puts the body in a metabolic state known as ketosis.
It results in making the body more efficient for burning the stored fat for energy demands. It also helps fat turn into ketones in the liver to supply energy to the brain. (5)
Keto diet can result in the reduction of blood sugar & insulin levels and can increase ketones. This way, this diet has several health benefits. (6)
Summary – Keto diet is a low carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet that can help lower blood sugar & insulin levels. It helps the body to use stored fat as an energy source.
Types of Ketogenic Diets
- Standard Keto Diet (SKD): This version has very low carbs, a moderate amount of protein, and high fat. This includes 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat. (1)
- Cyclical Keto diet (CKD): In this version, the number of carbs is varied periodically i.e., five low carb days followed by two high carb days.
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): In this version, you can add carbohydrates around your training sessions.
- High protein: In this variation, you have to increase the amount of protein. See it like 35% protein, 60% fat, and 5 % carbs.
Bodybuilders and athletes use cyclical and targeted keto diets as these are more advanced. But high protein and standard keto diets are studied more by scientists.
Summary: There are many variations of the keto diet, but the standard is much more studied and followed by the majority.
Keto Diet to Help You Lose Weight
It is a very effective way to lose weight and boost overall health. Studies show that a keto diet is much more efficient than low calorie foods.
This diet helps you improve Triglyceride and HDL cholesterol levels. Studies show that a person on a keto diet loses 2.1 times more weight than the person following a low-fat meals.
It also increases ketones, improves the insulin levels, and lowers the blood sugar, which helps you to lose weight quickly.
Summary: A keto diet helps you lose weight more quickly than with a low-fat meals.
Some Other Health Benefits of Keto Diet
It was initially developed for treating neurological diseases, including epilepsy. But there is research that can offer many other health benefits.
- Heart diseases: A keto diet can help you reduce body fat, blood sugar, blood pressure, and HDL cholesterol levels. (7)
- Cancer: This diet is used to treat some kinds of cancer and slowing of tumor growth. (8)
- Alzheimer’s disease: A ketogenic diet may slow and reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Parkinson’s disease: This diet can also reduce the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. (9)
- Acne treatment: As it lowers insulin levels, and there is less amount of sugar, and processed foods in the diet may help improve that horrible acne on the face & body and give you a glowing skin (10)
Food to Avoid
As in this, carb amount is limited, so foods with high carbohydrates should be cut off or limited.
- Fruit: All fruits, you can only eat a small number of berries, benefits of grapefruit are awesome but cut off them from the diet.
- Sugary foods: Fruit juices, cakes, smoothies, candies, soda, ice cream, etc.
- Starches & grains: Pasta, rice, wheat, cereal, etc.
- Legumes & Beans: Chickpeas, kidney beans, peas, lentils, etc.
- Vegetables: Sweet potatoes, potatoes, parsnips, carrots, etc.
- Alcohol: These are high in carbohydrates content, so avoid them.
- Processed foods: They are usually high in carbs, and some sauces contain sugar and bad fat.
Foods You Can Eat on a Keto Diet
- Eggs: Use omega-3 whole eggs.
- Fish: Trout, salmon, tuna, etc.
- Meat: Steak, ham, sausages, chicken, turkey, red meat, etc.
- Cheese: Mozzarella, cheddar, goat cheese, blue cheese, etc.
- Plant-based omega-3 fatty acids: Chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, etc.
- Oils: Coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, etc.
- Vegetables: Peppers, tomatoes, onions, and green vegetables.
A ketogenic diet is not for everyone.
It is not an ideal diet for athletes who want to gain weight and muscle mass.
A keto diet can do wonders for overweight and diabetic people.
As we all know that any diet can only work if it is followed properly and for the long term. A well balanced diet for a long time can keep you healthy and young. This is the time you start working towards your goal. Hire a personal trainer, maintain a strict diet and see the magic happening. For any advice or question feel free to comment or contact us.